Squash & Pepper Summer Soup
This is a light, simple soup perfect for a summer day. It's a great way to use up excess summer squash, and it freezes well. Recipe by Dave.
4-5 yellow summer squash, chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 Albino Bull Nose yellow peppers, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp of butter
1.5 cups of water
2-3 tbsp of rice vinegar
1/2 cup of light cream
3 tbsp of lemon curd (or try lemon juice and agave)
Salt and pepper
A dash of your favorite hot sauce
Basil and Mozzarella for garnish
1. Dice the onions, saute with olive oil on low heat, until translucent. Do not caramelize.
2. Add the chopped peppers, and garlic to the onions. Cook lightly for a few minutes, careful not to brown the garlic.
3. Transfer to a soup pot. Add the summer squash and water. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 20-30 minutes.
4. Use a food processor or an immersion mixer to puree the soup. Once combined, cook for another 30 minutes, then blend again thoroughly. Add salt, pepper, vinegar, lemon curd, cream and hot sauce. Adjust quantities to taste.
5. Top with shredded basil and fresh mozzarella. Serve hot with some good crusty bread.